Here’s a few simple rules to keep in mind if you want to be lean, strong, healthy and shredded.
- Earn/Rotate your carbs. – Limiting smart carbs such as oats, potatoes, rice, quinoa and fruit to after hard brutal workouts for glycogen replenishment, recovery and maximising insulin sensitivity so you can build up your tolerance to carbohydrates whilst getting ripped.
- Eat your vegetables – LOTS OF THEM.
- Cut back on gluten, grains/wheat, sugar, soya, junk food, vegetable oils.
- Eat more good fats, especially whey you are dropping carb in take back – Aiming for fish oil, sea food, coconut oil, nut butters, seeds and nut mixes.
- Keep it natural keep it clean – If you couldn’t kill it with a spear and it’s not green – don’t eat it (Charles Poliquin)
- Drink your water – aim for 1liter per 50lbs of body weight.
- Cut back on stimulants such as caffeine to let your adrenal glands recover. 1 cup of black coffee per day is fine (in my opinion – but if you have foggy memory, struggle with you energy levels – start eating cleaner and cut back/cut out coffee/caffeine for a few weeks)
- Eat your protein – Aim for at least 1g per pound of body weight, especially if holding onto muscle is important to you (it should be) and even more so if you have high body fat levels, running on a lower carb intake.
- The leaner you are, the more muscle you carry the more carbs you can eat.
- Training your ass off, properly – This is a quick post on nutrition, but equally make sure you are hitting the big lifts to maintain your strength and testosterone/hormone production. – Deads, Squats, Cleans, Presses, Strongman lifts are a good base.
- Add in sprints to turn it up – If you do little cardio, start by adding in 1 10 minute session of hill sprints each week, track and adjust your food intake according to your results.
- Gaining fat too quick? Cut back on what you are eating, or clean it up if you aren’t eat as per the guidance above.
- Losing weight to fast? Gradually bring up your protein, fat intake. If you are still losing too much weight – Add in more carbs following your workouts.
There it is – Simple steps to get BIG results – Go HARD.